Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Well, we movie stars get the glory. I guess we have to take the little heartaches that go with it. People think we lead lives of glamour and romance, but we're really lonely - terribly lonely."

Whenever I feel sick or down, I always watch one of my favorite go-to films: Singin' in the Rain. I used to watch old musicals with my dad when I was little. We watched all the good Rodgers & Hammerstein classics: The Sound of Music, Oklahoma, The King and I, South Pacific, etc. etc. It was a good way to connect to my dad and especially when I was sick, he would stay home from work and show me movies from his childhood. So, whenever I am homesick or feeling under the weather, Singin' in the Rain is my remedy. However, now that I am constantly analyzing old films and putting them in context of media studies, it is hard not to make criticisms and parallels to U.S. popular culture today. Back in the 1950s, or even in the 1920s which is the time period in which the movie is set, the actors make a startling connection to fame then and now. Various and expansive transformations have occurred between the pop culture in America then and now. One common thread seems to remain: movie stars marry movie stars to get divorced and be lonely. I know this seems like a bold statement and there are exceptions, yet fame proves to be a lonely career.

No comments:

Post a Comment